When a new business owner launches their social media websites, they typically forget about personal branding. They have the mindset that people are not interested in them but only in their products or service. While it is true that the product or service is the main focus, consumers like to know who they are purchasing from and what they stand for. This is where a personal brand will come in handy. Personal branding is building an online presence around yourself instead of your company. Brand identities are important to have because it lets consumers know who you are as a person.
- Have an interest or purpose: Anyone who wants to be an influencer needs to have an interest or a purpose that drives their passion for something. This is the core of personal branding and influential marketing. You are able to attract more people when they know things about who you are and what you stand for.
- What are your passions in life?
- Who do you find inspirational?
- What are the goals you plan to achieve?
When your interests are made clear, people can relate to you and find your company more desirable.
- Create a visual look for your brand: Successful businesses have a brand look that tells the company certain colors, fonts, and logos to use when publishing material. You want a color and logo that represents who you are and what your brand stands for. If you need assistance with this, you can always hire a graphic designer for help.
- Brush up on your public speaking and writing skills: Learning to write blogs and social media posts are essential to running a successful business. Public speaking skills will benefit you during presentations, pitching to clients, and overall make you feel more confident when you are doing these things. Writing is important because it helps to clarify your thinking and what the reader is reading.
- Figure out who you want to be as a brand: How do you want people to know you as? Are you an email marketing expert? Do you best communicate through social media posts or DMs? Understanding your own personal brand will help you more understand your target audience. You will have a much easier time creating content once you know what you want your brand to look like.
- Strengthen your social media presence: Social media plays an extremely important role in getting to know your target audience. You want your customers to know that you are an expert in what you do or sell. You need to be available to answer their questions. A great way to strengthen your social media presence is to do a live question and answer video. Ask your customers what questions they have and get then excited about your video event. Events like these will encourage your followers to stay engaged with your online content.
- Create a website: While growing social media platforms is important, creating a website is equally important. Your followers will want to learn more about your product or service. If there is no website to turn to, you may miss out on potential business. Your website does not need to be complicated as it only needs a few basic pages. A contact page and a page about the business is most important.
John’s the founder of Audacity Marketing. When he’s not racing motorcycles, he’s building marketing strategies for Audacity clients and anyone else who’ll listen.
John’s worn all the marketing hats, from consultant to agency owner to executive to university professor. He’s held leadership roles in industries from staffing to behavioral health to capital-C consulting. He’s branded or rebranded over 100 companies.
John buttresses 25+ years in marketing with an MBA from Georgia State University.
John lives with his girlfriend Suzanne, his dog Seamus, and his daughter Annie when she shows up from college.